Keep Pets Safe During the Holidays

author image

December 15, 2008

Cat in tree‘Tis the season for glitter, tinsel, toys and delectable food. But did you know all of these things can be hazardous — even deadly — to your pet?

Gift wrapping paper, bows, ribbons, and faux snow are pretty to look at and may be particularly intriguing to your pet, but they can also be swallowed or caught around your pet’s neck. Tree tinsel and small parts from children’s toys can also end up in your pet’s mouth and become lodged in the throat, causing your pet to choke to death.

Be sure to hang tree decorations out of your pet’s reach, as ornament hooks can also be a choking hazard. And make sure your Christmas tree is well secured. Cats are inquisitive and love to climb. They can easily become entangled in strands of lights, knocking the tree over or causing other damage.

Holiday plants such as mistletoe, holly and poinsettia can be toxic to animals. Make sure these are well out of reach of pets. Holiday candles should also be kept out of paw’s reach.

While there may be plenty of food in your home this time of year, avoid feeding your pet things such as turkey or other types of poultry that may have bones. And never give your pet chocolate. A substance called theobromine is in chocolate and can be toxic to pets.

Be careful when winterizing your RV or automobile. Spilled anti-freeze can have a sweet taste to pets but can be especially dangerous if ingested — even fatal. The location of other household chemicals should be checked to be sure they don’t pose a potential hazard.

Keep your pets safe during the holidays by keeping these tips in mind and using common sense.

Happy (and Safe) Holidays and Pet Travels

Tom James

Leave a Reply