Let’s be honest, s’mores are one of the best things about camping. There’s something about the mix of crunchy graham crackers, gooey chocolate and toasty marshmallows that go together so perfectly. It’s like these flavors were just meant to be combined! And roasting them over the campfire is a favorite pastime of both kids and adults.
While s’mores are a camping classic, there are plenty of ways you can recreate the taste without needing a fire. Below are three s’more-inspired desserts that bring together all your favorite flavors without the time it takes to build a fire and roast the marshmallows. These recipes are easy to make and can be thrown together on the road or prepared ahead of time at home. They’re perfect for camping get togethers or evening movie nights when it’s a bit too cold to sit outside. Or when you just want that tasty mix of chocolate and marshmallows!
S’mores Cereal Bars
With its graham cracker flavoring, Golden Grahams cereal is just asking to be made into a s’more dessert. These no-bake bars use only 5 ingredients and take less than 10 minutes to throw together. You can also swap out the semi-sweet chocolate chips for milk chocolate or dark chocolate chips if you have a favorite style of chocolate. These s’mores bars are a picnic favorite and are sure to disappear quickly! But in case you have any extras, they can also be stored in an airtight container for up to four days.
4 TBSP butter
4 and 1/4 cups mini marshmallows, divided
1/2 tsp vanilla
5 cups Golden Grahams cereal
3/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
1. Line an 8×8 or 9×9 baking pan with aluminum foil. Lightly butter the foil or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Melt the butter in a large pot on the stove over low heat. Add the vanilla and four cups of marshmallows to the pot. Cook until the marshmallows are fully melted, stirring constantly so it won’t burn.
3. Remove the pot from the heat and mix in the Golden Grahams until the cereal is fully coated with the marshmallow mixture.
4. Wait 5 minutes or so for the mixture to cool a bit, then add in 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips. Gently stir the mixture until everything is combined.
5. Scoop the mixture into the pan and top with the remaining 1/4 cup of marshmallows and 1/4 cup of chocolate chips. Press down on the bars to make sure they evenly fill the pan and the marshmallows and chocolate chips stick to the top.
6.Let cool completely, then cut into squares and serve. Store in an airtight container.
Chocolatey S’mores Cheesecake Dip
This gooey, chocolatey s’mores dip is a favorite for picnics, campground happy hours, or any time you need an easy dessert dip. The best way to mix up this cheesecake dip is with a handheld mixer, but if you don’t typically bring that along in your RV, this recipe can easily be made before your trip and stored in the refrigerator for a few days. You can also mix it up using a whisk or spatula, but it will take a bit longer for everything to properly combine. If you go this route, make sure that the cream cheese has properly softened to make mixing easier. And you don’t just need to eat this with graham crackers – it’s also delicious with all sorts of other snacks.
8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
1 jar (7 oz) marshmallow crème
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup chocolate sauce
Mini chocolate chips
Graham crackers for dipping
1. Mix the cream cheese, marshmallow crème, and vanilla in a bowl with a hand mixer. You can also mix everything by hand with a whisk or spatula, but it will take longer – be sure everything is fully combined.
2. Add the chocolate sauce and mix until combined.
3. Scoop the mixture into a bowl and top with mini chocolate chips or mini marshmallows.
4. Serve with graham crackers for dipping. It’s also a fantastic dip for strawberries, bananas, cookies, angel food cake, and pretzels!
5. Store any leftovers tightly covered in the refrigerator.
S’mores Mug Cake
For those times when you just want a single serving of dessert, mug cakes are perfect. While you probably won’t be bringing all your typical baking ingredients along on a camping trip, these are very easy to partially make ahead of time before you go. Simply measure out and mix the dry ingredients together and store them in a resealable bag. When you’re ready to make a mug cake, pour the dry ingredients into a mug and add the oil and milk. Then stir and microwave the cake. Bonus – since you’re mixing everything in one mug, it makes for easy cleanup!
3 TBSP flour
1 and 1/2 TBSP sugar
2 TBSP cocoa power
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 TBSP graham cracker crumbs (about 1 graham cracker, smashed into crumbs)
1 TBSP neutral oil like coconut or canola oil
1/4 cup milk
mini marshmallows for topping
1. Mix all the dry ingredients into a microwave-safe mug. You’ll want to use a larger mug to make sure there is enough space for the cake to cook and rise. Whisk the dry ingredients so they are fully combined. (You can also do this step before your trip and store the dry mixture in a resealable bag.)
2. Add the oil and milk to the mug and stir to combine.
3. Microwave for 45-60 seconds – the top should be solid, and the middle of the cake should not be gooey. The time may vary depending on how strong your microwave is, so keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn. If you’re concerned about overcooking it, start with 30 seconds and finish in 10-second intervals until the cake is done.
4. Add a few mini marshmallows to the top of the mug and microwave it again for another 10 seconds. You just want the marshmallows to soften a bit, not explode!
5. Let the mug cake cool for a minute or two and then dig in.