One of the largest municipal parks east of the Mississippi, this magnificent 7,711 acre-oasis is home to an incredible variety of native wildlife – deer, foxes, otter, raccoon and beaver, to name a few – all found in a natural setting of lush woodlands, flowering meadows and shimmering lakes. Its unique natural beauty makes Newport News Park Campground a favorite destination for campers who love the great outdoors – and the convenience of being just moments away from the multitude of activities and attractions the surrounding area provides.
Phone: (757) 888-3333 • 1-800-203-8322
Our 188 campsites are spaciously arranged throughout natural woodlands and are surrounded by many comforts of home including:
- Electrical and water hookups
- Heated showers and flush toilets
- Paved roadways and parking pads
- Picnic tables, grills and playgrounds
- Laundry facilities
- A camper store for food and supplies
- 24-hour security throughout the Parks and Recreation
- Centralized sewage disposal station
- Pets welcome; rabies certificate required at check-in
Reserve one of Newport News Park Campground’s wooded campsites for a quiet get-away. Reservations can be made by phone at 757-888-3333 or toll free at 1-800-203-8322. MasterCard & Visa accepted.
Campers and outdoor enthusiasts find Newport News Park Campground a perfect retreat for hiking or bicycling on the Park’s many trails; picnicking in shelters with outdoor grills; fishing, boating and canoeing on the Park’s scenic lakes and inlets; and enjoying sports such as archery and golf.
Rowboat, canoe and paddleboat rentals are available from the Newport News Park Campground Campsite Office. Fishing is permitted by permit in two large freshwater lakes. Launching ramps are available for privately owned watercraft (no gas motors).
For history lovers, Newport News Park Campground is the site of some of the best preserved Civil War fortifications, earthworks and redoubts in Virginia, and is a designated stop on the official Virginia Civil War Trails network.
- 30 miles of hiking and biking trails
- Bicycle (and helmet) rentals
- An arboretum with seasonal flora such as dogwoods, azaleas and camellias
- Playgrounds and 20 picnic shelters
- A 30-acre aeromodel flying field
- An all-terrain mountain bike trail
- Archery range (bring your own bow)
- Regularly scheduled nature and living history programs
- A Discovery Center with nature and history exhibits
- Two of the best public golf courses in Virginia; 36 holes with Pro shop and driving range
- An 18-hole disc golf course (rental discs & sales available)
Minutes from Everything! Newport News Park Campground, located midway between Richmond and Virginia Beach, is ideally situated in an area rich in historical attractions, theme parks, museums and entertainment.
Call the Newport News Visitor Center for directions, brochures and suggested itineraries for area attractions toll-free at 888-493-7386.
Photos: Newport News Park Campground