Many accidents are caused by simple forgetfulness or inattention to detail: Leaving cabinet or cargo doors unlatched, TV antenna up or steps extended. A pre-trip safety check and inspection is an essential step in preventing these mishaps before leaving your camping site.
Create a step-by-step, pre-trip safety checklist, and like a pilot on a jet, conduct a final walk-around visual inspection before driving away from your camping site.
If you fail to perform a pre-trip safety check, you will have a problem—not today or tomorrow, but at some time in the future.
Pre-Drive Safety Checklist: Interior
• Secure all loose items: Toaster/toaster oven/coffee maker/dishes
• Ensure stove burners and oven are in off position
• Securely latch cabinet and closet doors
• Close roof vents and windows
• Turn OFF air conditioner/heat pump/furnace
• Turn OFF refrigerator and securely latch doors
• Turn OFF water pump
• Turn OFF interior RV lights
• Fully retract slides and secure
• Fully retract TV antenna/roof-top satellite dish/exterior steps
Pre-Drive Safety Checklist: Exterior Check
• Oil/transmission/coolant levels and condition of belts/hoses
• Check under the rig for signs of fluid leaks
• Check tire inflation pressure and adjust as required; inspect tires for cracks/uneven tread wear
• Retract and secure patio and window awnings
• Empty black/gray tanks and close valves
• Disconnect and store power cord/cable TV cord/Satellite TV cord/water hose/sewer hose
• Turn OFF propane at tank
• Retract/remove stabilizer jacks
• Store leveling blocks/boards
• Close/latch/lock all doors/exterior bins
• Tow bar and safety cables in place
• Check head lights/fog lights/signal lights/4-way hazard lights/clearance lights/brake lights
• Check surroundings for hazards before departure: Low branches/ground obstacles
• Check campsite to ensure it’s clean and no items are left behind
• Final 360-degree RV walk-around
• NEVER assume that everything is OK: ALWAYS do your SAFETY CHECKS to make sure that everything REALLY is OK!
Remember, Safety First, and Happy RVing!