Once the winter playground for America’s wealthiest families, Jekyll Island Campground is now open to all. Nestled among 18 wooded acres of ancient oaks and maritime forests, the Jekyll Island Campground is home to 158 campsites and an unparalleled camping experience. Visitors find that each season on this pristine Georgia barrier island offers unique opportunities for exploration, adventure, and relaxation. Here are our favorite beaches, bike trails, history tours, and events throughout the year.
- Beach: Pack a picnic and head to Great Dunes Beach Park for a day of fun in the sun
- Biking: Follow the shaded trails of the maritime forest for a day of adventure and wonder
- History: Immerse yourself in “The Rockefeller Experience.” Explore the lives of William and Almira Rockefeller with a special guided tour of their winter retreat, Indian Mound Cottage
- Events: Celebrate Independence Day with a hometown parade and the best fireworks display in the Golden Isles
- Beach: Fall is the perfect time for a visit to Andrews Beach Park for shelling and birding
- Biking: Jekyll Island is part of the Golden Isles, a chain of South Georgia barrier islands named for the brilliant gold hue the surrounding salt marshes turn in the Fall. Biking Jekyll Island’s marsh-facing paths is sure to be a memorable experience.
- History: The island’s rich history comes to life with the Passport to the Century tour throughout the National Landmark District
- Events: The area’s largest annual event, the Jekyll Island Shrimp & Grits Festival is three days of great food, cold brews, live entertainment, and more.
- Beach: For a winter beach adventure, check out Driftwood Beach. Toppled ancient oaks from the maritime forest are petrified by the sun and salt air, creating an eerily beautiful backdrop for photos, weddings, engagements, or a relaxing stroll.
- Biking: Explore the island’s interior trails with hopes of spotting nesting bald eagles.
- History: Enjoy the grand décor of the holiday season and discover key players in island and American history with special winter programming and tours.
- Events: Enjoy the spirited Whiskey, Wine, and Wildlife weekend, a fundraiser for the Jekyll Island Foundation.
- Beach: Wide expanses of sand are perfect for an afternoon of relaxation on Glory Beach. Bring a book and a blanket to make the most of this quiet hideaway.
- Biking: Enjoy the cool ocean breeze as you cruise along miles of beachfront bike paths
- History: Get an up close look at the innovative architecture with special tours of Hollybourne Cottage in May’s Bridge Builder’s Cottage tour
- Events: Run, bike, and swim your way through Turtle Crawl Weekend. If you’re a participating athlete, a cheering fan, or you just love turtles, this festive, weekend has something for everyone.
No matter what time of year you choose to visit the Jekyll Island Campground, there’s always something special awaiting your arrival.
Make your campground reservations today – 912.635.3021 or [email protected]
Visit our website: JekylIisland.com/campground
Photos: Jekyll Island Campground