Check out these highlights of RV-related news, events and video from this past week.
1. Shifting From Oil to Electric Power On the Road: Times they are a-changing for vehicle gas mileage rates. For the first time ever there is a nationwide standard for emissions of greenhouse gases. President Obama recently announced plans that would require cars and trucks to jump from the current average of 25 mpg to 35.5 mpg by 2016, with passenger cars obtaining 39 mpg and trucks obtaining 30 mpg, depending on the class and size. The plan also demands a one-third reduction in vehicle carbon-dioxide emissions within the next seven years. Read recent blog posts arguing for and against these stringent fuel efficiency mandates.
2. VIDEO: Gear to Get with Brian Brawdy – Eton’s NOAA Radios: Since summertime often brngs severe weather, now is the perfect time to dust off your disaster kit to make sure you have the gear your family needs to stay safe. Brian Brawdy shows us two handy emergency radios to add to your vehicle’s first aid kit or home disaster kit to stay in the loop on NOAA weather warnings in your area. Watch the video to see why Brian never leaves home without these devices!
3. Good Sam Announces RVer of the Year Award: The Good Sam Club announced the first receipient of its new RVer of the Year Award. Congratulations to Richard Daniels of Waynesboro, Georgia! Read more about Richard Daniels and his contributions to the RV community.
4. One Year Moratorium on Road Building in National Forests: The Obama administration has called for a freeze on most road-building and other development on about 50 million acres of remote national forests. The goal is to preserve the pristine roadless areas of our nation by banning new logging and development. Read more of this AP story from the Washington Examiner.
5. America’s ‘Top 100 Family Campgrounds’ Announced by ReserveAmerica: With the summer camping season fast upon us, ReserveAmerica, the United States’ leading recreation reservation service, announced today the nation’s seventh annual “Top 100 Family Campgrounds,” a guide to help campers and their families plan camping trips at locations across America’s great outdoors. The list also includes ReserveAmerica’s top biking trails, beaches, scenic views, water recreation parks and much more. Check the list and start planning your family’s next trip today!
6. Fleetwood Selling Other Operations: The Riverside Press-Enterprise reports that Riverside-based RV manufacturer Fleetwood was expected to sell its military housing operations for $4.5 million on May 27. See the full story for details on the rest of the company’s assets and operating divisions.