1. Food is fresh, like really fresh. On Prince Edward Island, we take farm-to-table and boat-to-table to a whole new level. As you tour the Island, you’ll better understand that food is a way of life here. You’ll see farmers cutting hay, cattle grazing in wide-open pastures and potato fields blossoming with colors of pink, white, yellow and purple. Our rivers and estuaries provide the ideal conditions for harvesting mussels and the world’s finest oysters. Perhaps you’ll catch the fishing boats coming back to the harbor in the early afternoons of June and September as fishers return with their catches of delicious Prince Edward Island lobster.
2. Highly trained chefs. Our best butchers, bakers and culinary artmakers are graduates of the Culinary Institute of Canada in Charlottetown. For a unique gastronomic experience, be sure to visit the on-site market or make reservations for the dining room for a spectacular view of the Charlottetown Harbour.
3. Chefs, farmers and fishers are neighbors and often friends. The Island provides the perfect growing conditions for food and relationships. Within minutes, chefs can visit local producers to select menu ingredients. In fact, many of our local chefs and kitchen helpers grew up in the small fishing and farming communities — quality assurance at its finest.
4. Find the makings of dinner along the way. Along our highways and byways, you’ll find roadside stands selling anything from potatoes to pumpkins and free-range eggs to firewood. You can even find a honey hut. If the season is right, ask about buying a feed of lobster at the wharf. Here, fresh can be both savory and self-serve. Most stands accept cash only so be prepared before you head out.
5. Everything tastes better when it is harvested from rich, red soil or briny blue salt waters. Islanders know this to be true and are happy to share the harvest with visitors. Maybe that’s why Prince Edward Island entices travelers Canada’s Food Island. Satisfy your taste buds and your sense of adventure too on Prince Edward Island.
Satisfy your taste buds and your sense of adventure too on Prince Edward Island.