Located halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco, San Luis Obispo County (SLO CAL) is full of California wonder. Whether you want to relax in wine country, kayak through caves or immerse yourself in the arts and culture scene, be sure to check out these ten must see and do activities in SLO CAL.
- Visit Two California Missions: In San Luis Obispo, Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa, California’s 5th Mission sits right in the heart of downtown. Mission San Miguel Arcángel, California’s 16th Mission, is surrounded by wine country and is known to be the best preserved and most authentic of any of the California Missions.
- Tour Hearst Castle + Catch a Glimpse of the Zebras (yes, we said zebras): Take a tour of William Randolph Hearst’s glamorous showcase of art, architecture and gardens with panoramic views of unspoiled coastline and rugged mountains in San Simeon along Highway 1. Be on the lookout for the infamous Hearst Castle zebras that roam just south of the property.
- Relax Like a Local: Pack a sandwich or some cheese and charcuterie for a picnic amongst the (seemingly endless) vineyards in SLO CAL wine country. Sip on award-winning wine in Paso Robles or the Edna and Arroyo Grande Valleys. Why stop at wine when SLO CAL has a buzzing craft beer, distillery and cider scene as well.
- Kayak the Dinosaur Caves in Pismo Beach: You might not see real dinosaurs, but this kayaking adventure will surprise and delight all who embark on it. Huge caves, a kelp forest and maybe even some passing whales and dolphins make this a can’t-miss on your SLO CAL tour.
- Satiate Your SLO CAL Appetite: Tempt your taste buds with farm-fresh menus, artfully-crafted cocktails and locally-caught seafood. Whether you’re craving a hearty clam chowder in a fresh sourdough bread bowl, Morro Bay oysters and Cayucos abalone, a tri-tip sandwich (a SLO CAL staple) or something a bit sweeter, San Luis Obispo County is brimming with a variety of delicious eateries.
- Take a Sunset Bay Cruise in Morro Bay: There’s nothing quite like a SLO CAL sunset and we encourage you to enjoy one by cruising the bay. Book a cruise or charter your own for a relaxing evening out on the water.
- Drive Highway 1: Drive iconic California Highway 1 in SLO CAL to discover the hidden gems of SLO CAL. With access to restaurants, wineries and breweries, boutiques, flora and fauna, wildlife and views that beg for a pit stop, you’ll see why this autoroute is one of the most justifiably famous (and must-dos) for travelers.
- Explore Downtown San Luis Obispo: Whether you’re into art galleries and museums, shopping local boutiques or maneuvering between eateries, downtown SLO is your one-stop shop. Be sure to stop by the famous Downtown SLO Thursday Farmers Market for live entertainment, good eats and family fun.
- Hike around Montaña de Oro State Park: Coastal breezes, the smell of eucalyptus and beautiful trails await at Montaña de Oro State Park. After a few hours of exploration, pop-into Los Osos & Baywood Park for lunch and relaxation.
- Drive on The Sand and Have a Bonfire: Pismo State Beach is the only drive-on state beach in California and for that reason alone, you should add it to your list. Cruise the shores and find the perfect spot to make a bonfire and indulge in smores. Pro-tip: get there just before sunset for an even better
Now that we’ve planned some stops on your SLO CAL itinerary, find an RV Park to book your stay!
Photos: Visit Slo Cal – San Luis Obispo County